Colin Squire is the son of the founder D.J Squire and grew up with the business. He formally joined the company in 1956 after his National Service. He trained in architecture at Kingston School of Art (now Kingston University) and in Landscape design at University College London.
Colin designed many gardens in the Twickenham area in the 1950s and 1960s. He is a fellow of the Institute of Horticulture and a member of the Company of Gardeners (a London livery company). Colin was also a founder member of the garden Centre Association.